Becoming a Member
Adult membership of TVASC is open to anyone who meets the following criteria (slightly different criteria apply for applicants under the age of 18 years):
- Adult membership applicants must hold a current shotgun certificate.
- They should know quite thoroughly the open and closed season dates for all the legitimate quarry species, and what those species are.
- They should be a 'safe gun', having read and understood the BASC 'Code of Good Shooting Practice' and are able to abide by the rules and guidance therein.
- They can read a map with a degree of confidence and are able to stay within such boundaries as may be marked thereon.
- They can be a 'Good Ambassador' for shooting in particular, and country sports in general. This is particularly important when meeting farmers, landowners and members of the public while out on a shooting day. The impression created could affect the reputation of the Association, and of shooting in general.
- They are willing to help the Association from time to time by offering some time or skills. (For example a few hours each year feeding pheasants, clearing foreshore, or supporting a social event).
- They undertake to abide by the rules and guidance set out in the Association's constitution.
- They are willing to attend an interview with the TVASC committee at a time of mutual convenience.
- They are willing to pay a once only joining fee and the subsequent annual subscription which includes automatic membership of BASC (details of the current fees are given below).
Shooting and Membership Subscriptions
Currently the Association rents and has licences for shooting over about 5,000 acres of rural land. This is managed by us as fifteen different shoots. They can be very different in character. Some are primarily woodland, some primarily farmland and some a mixture of both. There are also three and a half miles of tidal marsh. These shoots are managed by two shoot wardens who will book them out to members at their request. All members are provided with maps, guidance and a set of rules for each shoot and they are expected to adhere to these at all times. Failure to do so could lead to loss of membership. The booking in procedure will be explained at interview. The current Joining and Membership fees (at October 2019) are:
- Joining Fee payable on acceptance: This is currently £150.00 for 2019/20.
- Annual Subscription due in May each year for an adult under 65 is £196.00 and this includes membership of BASC which incorporates cover by their public liability insurance up to the sum of £10,000,000.
- For those over State Pensionable Age the subscription is £170.00 which also includes BASC membership etc.
- For Juniors, which is those under 18 years, and Extended Juniors, which is those 18-21 years but still in full-time education/training, the subscription is £40.00 including BASC.
- For couples the subscription is £265.00 and Senior couples it is £239.
- For Country Members, which is certain members who wish to retain a link with the Association but who, for reasons such as being away with the armed forces or some other form of work, cannot continue to shoot, the fee is £12.00. Country Membership is discretionary.
Membership Numbers and Waiting List
The Association has a longstanding policy of keeping the total for all categories of membership to about 100. Sometimes there can be a waiting list of up to a year. Currently there is no waiting list and we have a few vacancies.